Oct 30, 2009

Liberté égalité

I have always had a love-hate relationship with fashion. While my parents have never shunned my fashion pursuits, they didn't exactly try to wean me off my less desirable dalliances either. Sigh. I strutted around thinking that I was emulating my fave editorial while in reality, I was the worst mis-matched dresser around. I couldn't resist cute. But cute with goth? Its like Harry Potter having a tete-a-tete with Anna Wintour about the sophistication of his nerdy glasses. I cringe when I recall my baggy jeans with flats, my bohemian inspired Bali tiedye bag with clashing red blouse etc. There are just too many painful combinations to recall.



Truth was, I was so engrossed with 'growing up' and 'fitting in' that I blindly followed trends. I smacked on sunglasses that could put a funeral possession to shame. I wore platforms and almost fell flat on my face. Ah, while I am thankful to say that non of my friendships have been formed on the basis of 'being fashionable' I report that I have never been complimented on my 'style' before. Sigh. While I gulped down fashion magazines like water (TeenVogue, Jane (I MISS IT!), Lucky, Nylon, ViVi, Vogue...) I, in my youthful naivety and ignorance, began to focus on the wrong aspects, namely, TRENDS. Now, I have never been able to afford big brand labels and thankfully I don't go for that, but I followed trends. Trends in my childish vocabulary translated into the latest Taiwanese Celebrity or Korean Celebrity or just celebrity fashion or Look of the Month/Season or Popular Item of the Month. Those zipper bags that were all the rage when I was 15? Yup, I had one. The punk skater craze when I was 16? Yes, I bought a bag and a wallet to match.



Then, another weakness: if I spotted something on someone and I LIKED the look, I would hunt it down. It didn't matter that I was petite and looked awful in maxi skirts. (shakes head sadly) I just wasn't one of those lucky individuals who could look good in anything- no matter how weird or how random the combination. Therefore, my teenage years were woefully plagued with fashion mistakes. My mom helpfully inferred "leaving a kid in her mom's closet and then forgetting that she was there." I never picked the right pieces either. And my mom, in her holier than thou motherly way, resisted pointing that out to me, due to her belief that "I would realize it myself when I was ready". Thanks Mom, it took me a grand total of 21 years.



It was actually very simple. I was always looking towards someone else for carbon-copying that I ignored the most important part of the package: Myself. When photocopying, I just bought. I never once contemplated whether I genuinely liked the piece of clothe/accessory/shoe. Moreover, I was sucker for cheap bargains. Marked down? Discounted? Those were beloved companions on shopping trips. If it was cheap, I would grab it. Once again, mother of mine said "think whether you need it or want it, don't buy it for the sake of buying". It was as if she left little hints along the way; she just neglected to mention it. 0_0



So, with realization came knowledge then gratification. I learned to push away pangs of despeartion and envy and mindless bouts of daydreaming. I figured out my body type- petite, small frame, thin but not atlethic. I searched for what I liked- preference over quantity. There were yes's and no's. Fit and cutting began to matter. One piece revolved into acquiring many good friends that worked well with it. It doesn't take the joy out of shopping, but it gets rid of that horrid feeling that accompanies random impluse buying. It might take a bit more of brainpower, but when you can throw on things that work for you and get out of the house in less than 10 minutes, you know its worth it.I could finally say with certainty that I looked good. In my case, it was never about being a fashion muse. It was more of a sense of belonging- of how I didn't fret about my outfits anymore because I knew that they worked for me. I was no longer 'working' to create myself for my clothes. Ah.



Or maybe this is what growing up is; silly me.



Anyway, I still maintain an avid interest in fashion. However, from the traditional glossies that I used to procure every month without fail, I now turn to new media. Namely, StreetStyle blogs and Fashion Bloggers. Hm, although I have stopped the WhoWhatWear trend of blind adoration, I still derive enjoyable inspiration from these reads. Its also much more inspiring due to the fact that these are regular, normal people like you and me! Erm, they might be above me on the chic radar but nevertheless, like me, they have a budget; and like me, they have certain pieces that work for them and others that don't. It's grounding and realistic, something that I can relate to. Still, there is always another side to things: as coverage increases, real girls also feel compelled to look camera-ready-around-the-clock, creating a Hollywood-Celebrity Hunt and Chase relationship. I say? Its fashion. Take it with a pinch of salt.



Default List of StreetStyle Blogs



Default List of Fashion Bloggers



Other Defaults








Guilt Trip:
Gossip Girl

Green Tea Ice Cream

Dinner at 1 a.m.
Fishy's New Love, which made Old Love fuming mad