I remember my first Yasmin Ahmad advertisement. It was an iklan (advertisement in Malay) Petronas during Hari Raya. The whole family took notice straightaway of the beautifully crafted and artfully weaved tale. It became more than a mere iklan...it became a story to remember.
You might be wondering, now what's all this fuss about a mere iklan. I can assure you, while true, there might have been more popular advertisements floating around, none came bringing a message from the heart that captures the simple, everyday values of humanity so well. I especially love Percintaan Tan Hong Ming because of its heartbreaking simplicity and innocence...
Since then, we've come to notice that Yasmin Ahmad feel every time a new iklan crops up with a voice of its own. Not only does it do justice to the theme of the occasion, it brings about a certain poignant remembrance of life...of the way we are living and the ideals that we hold dear. If there was one person I could say who viewed themselves as a Malaysian first and foremost before their race, that person would be Yasmin Ahmad.
I think it would be safe to say that after that first iklan, I became a fan of her work. I also grew up through my formative teen years with Yasmin's iklans. They became a fixture that my whole family looked forward to during festivities. We all watched, my parents, my brothers, my uncle, my grandparents and my granduncle... her first feature film Sepet when it was released; together, and everyone enjoyed it because it there were instances in the film that every generation could relate to. Later on, there was Gubra, Mukhsin and Muallaf. Each one a gem in their own right.
While I have not had the opportunity to meet her and sadly, I will never have this opportunity; I am glad that she had the chance to share her wonderful way of storytelling with all of the world. Because, at the end of the day, that was what she liked to call herself- Yasmin the Storyteller. Thank you, sincerely, for all the wonderful and heartfelt memories that you have given to me, my family, and many many others.
You might be wondering, now what's all this fuss about a mere iklan. I can assure you, while true, there might have been more popular advertisements floating around, none came bringing a message from the heart that captures the simple, everyday values of humanity so well. I especially love Percintaan Tan Hong Ming because of its heartbreaking simplicity and innocence...
Since then, we've come to notice that Yasmin Ahmad feel every time a new iklan crops up with a voice of its own. Not only does it do justice to the theme of the occasion, it brings about a certain poignant remembrance of life...of the way we are living and the ideals that we hold dear. If there was one person I could say who viewed themselves as a Malaysian first and foremost before their race, that person would be Yasmin Ahmad.
I think it would be safe to say that after that first iklan, I became a fan of her work. I also grew up through my formative teen years with Yasmin's iklans. They became a fixture that my whole family looked forward to during festivities. We all watched, my parents, my brothers, my uncle, my grandparents and my granduncle... her first feature film Sepet when it was released; together, and everyone enjoyed it because it there were instances in the film that every generation could relate to. Later on, there was Gubra, Mukhsin and Muallaf. Each one a gem in their own right.
While I have not had the opportunity to meet her and sadly, I will never have this opportunity; I am glad that she had the chance to share her wonderful way of storytelling with all of the world. Because, at the end of the day, that was what she liked to call herself- Yasmin the Storyteller. Thank you, sincerely, for all the wonderful and heartfelt memories that you have given to me, my family, and many many others.
'In the end, its these small things that you remember,
the little imperfections that make them perfect for you.'
-Yasmin Ahmad on Love
excerpt from her iklan 'Funeral'
the little imperfections that make them perfect for you.'
-Yasmin Ahmad on Love
excerpt from her iklan 'Funeral'
Al fatihah.